Is something hung up in your garbage disposal? Don’t risk hurting yourself or causing further damage; call Pro Serve Plumbing for speedy, reliable plumbing services. If you need garbage disposal repair in Aledo and Fort Worth, TX, call (817) 200-4465.
Things You Should Never Put Down Your Garbage Disposal
Your garbage disposal is tough, but it can’t destroy everything you put in it. To keep your garbage disposal functioning properly, you should never put these items in your garbage disposal:
- Grease / Oil – Oil and grease will coat the blades of your disposal, dulling them and shortening your disposal’s lifespan. Grease can also solidify in your pipes and cause a clog.
- Bones – Your garbage disposal may break down chicken, beef, and other bones into smaller pieces, but it will not be able to finely crush them. The bones will probably spin around, get stuck, or cause a blockage in your pipe.
- Eggshells – It’s a common myth that eggshells are okay for your garbage disposal. The egg membrane will make the blades slick and dull, and the shell itself will not break down finely enough.
- Tough or fibrous foods – Excessively fibrous or hard foods like sweet potatoes, celery, beets, corn cobs, and more should go in the trash or compost. Even small pieces may be too tough for your garbage disposal, dulling the blades quickly.
- Fruit pits – Fruit pits are hard as rocks, and your garbage disposal won’t be able to break them down. Peach, plum, cherry, avocado, and other fruit pits should go in the trashcan.
- Pasta, rice, beans, and potatoes – Though these foods get broken down easily, they absorb water easily. If a bunch of pasta swells up in your pipes, you will likely have a clogged drain problem. Avoid the trouble and throw these foods in the trash.
- Non-food items – You should never put non-food items down the garbage disposal, including organic materials like plant clipping and dirt.
- Your hand – If you’re trying to fix your garbage disposal, you should never stick your hand down it! Even when the system is off, you can cut yourself on the sharp blades. Call a professional instead!
Skilled, Professional Plumbing 24/7
If you need garbage disposal repair in Fort Worth, TX, call Pro Serve Plumbing.For garbage disposal repair in Fort Worth, Tx, call Pro Serve Plumbing. We can get your system replaced right away if you are having any trouble. We are here for all your plumbing needs, call us anytime at (817) 200-4465.